Commonly Questioned Ordinances

Please note that this is a partial list of ordinances. The complete ordinances are available in the village office.


Building permits are required in Viola.  An application form is available at the Clerks Office located at 106 W. Wisconsin Street.  

A $25.00 building permit fee will be imposed if a permit is needed.  Permits are granted by the Viola Zoning Administrator.


Burning barrels are allowed without a permit.  No plastics, construction materials, or industrial products are allowed to be burned. Burning permits are not required for a burning pit that is 4 feet in diameter and not located less than 15 feet from any structure.  Clean wood only is permitted to be burned, and the use of burning pits to burn refuse is prohibited.  Recreational burning pits shall be extinguished by 11:00 p.m. A burning permit from the Village Office is required for open burning of brush, Viola Ordinance 5-2-9(e).


Wisconsin Stat. 174.05 requires all dog owners to have a current Dog License for a dog more than 5 months of age.  If you do not have a current year Dog License, your name will appear on the Delinquent Dog list and will be filed with the County District Attorney.  If you no longer have a dog, an Affidavit of Death or Disposal form needs to be filed.  These forms and licensing are available at the Clerks Office located at 106 W. Wisconsin Street in Viola. 

Dog License is $8.00 unless the dog was spayed or neutered, then the license is $3.00.  After April 1, there is an additional LATE FEE of $5.00 that will be imposed.  No license will be issued without proof of current Rabies Vaccination. 

ANIMAL FECES (Ordinance 7-1-11)

Removal of fecal matter: the owner or person in charge of any dog, cat, horse, potbellied pig, or other animal shall not permit solid fecal matter of such animal to deposit on any street, alley, or other public or private property, unless such matter is immediately removed there from by said owner or person in charge. This shall not apply to a person who is visually or physically handicapped.

LAWNS & NOXIOUS WEEDS (Ordinance 8-1-6)

Each person who owns, occupies, or controls land in the Village of Viola, is to destroy all noxious weeds on such property at such times and in such manner as will effectually prevent such plants from maturing to the bloom or flower stage. Anyone failing to do so, will have the weeds destroyed by the Weed Commissioner, and the cost placed as a tax on the property.  The noxious weeds are Canada Thistle, Leafy Spurge, Ragweed, and all other rank growth.

Any lawn on a residential lot or other non-agricultural parcel which exceeds six (6) inches in length is declared to be a public nuisance and the Weed Commissioner shall cause the nuisance to be abated.  The cost of which shall be a minimum $50.00 charge with $50.00 per hour fee to be chargeable to the parcel and placed as a tax on the property. 


Within twenty-four (24) hours after the cessation of any fall of sleet or snow, it shall be the duty of the owners and/or the occupants of any lot or parcel of land in the Village of Viola to remove, or cause to be removed, the snow or sleet from any and all sidewalks adjacent to the premises of the owner or occupant, and to keep the same free and clear of snow and ice for the full width of the sidewalk.  Failure of the property owner to remove the snow or ice, shall result in a penalty by the Village. 


No person shall park any vehicle on any street or alley in the Village of Viola from November 15 to April 1 between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m.  Citations shall be given to vehicles parked during the above times.


Whenever the Building Inspector, Fire Inspector, Law Enforcement Officer, or other authorized Village official shall, upon inspection of any premises within the Village of Viola find that there is unhealthy, hazardous or unsightly materials or thing which create a fire or health hazard, or which is detrimental to the appearance, neatness and cleanliness of the immediate neighborhood or the Village of Viola in general, such official shall issue his/her written order to the owner and/or occupant of the premises to remove said unhealthy, hazardous or unsightly materials or things.

Said written order shall provide that such removal shall be accomplished within ten (10) days after service of said order upon the owner or occupant of the premises involved.  Prosecution of violators shall be enforced.

R1 Single Family Residential District Setbacks (sec 15-1-23)

(d) MAXIMUM BUILDING HEIGHT Thirty-five (35) feet, and no more than two and one half (2 1/2) stories.

(e) MINIMUM FRONT YARD SETBACK FROM EDGE OF HIGHWAY, STREET, OR FROM BACK OF CURB IF CURB EXISTS Twenty-five (25) feet (Note:More restrictive standards may be imposed by state or county regulations in certain circumstances where lots abut state or county highways. The Ville of Viola may increase setback requirements on narrow streets.)

(f) MINIMUM REAR YARD SETBACK (1) Principal Buildings: Twenty-five (25) feet (2) Accessory Buildings: Eight (8) feet

(g) MINIMUM SIDE YARD SETBACK (1) Principal Buildings: Eight (8) feet on each side (2) Accessory Buildings: Eight (8) feet on each side

(h) MINIMUM LOT WIDTH Sixty-five (65) feet

(i) MINIMUM LOT AREA FOR SINGLE FAMILY Four thousand (4000) square feet

(j) MINIMUM LOT AREA FOR TWO-FAMILY Eight thousand, five hundred (8,500) square feet

(k) MINIMUM FLOOR AREA Nine hundred (900) square feet per family


Fireworks (title 7 ch 6) 

Contact Village office for full ordinance requirements

Fireworks permit fee $25

(c) Use.

(1) Permit Required. No person may possess or use fireworks without a user's permit from the Village President or from an official or employee of the Village as designated by the Village Board. No person may use fireworks or a device listed under Subsection (a)(5)-(7) and (9)-(14) while attending a fireworks display for which a permit has been issued to a person listed under Subparagraph (c)(3)a-e or under Subparagraph (c)(3)f if the display is open to the general public. A fee as prescribed by Section 1-3-1 shall be paid at the time of application.

(3) Who May Obtain Permit. A permit under this Subsection may be issued only to the following:

a.       A public authority.

b.       A fair association.

c.       An amusement park.

d.       A park board.

e.       A civic organization.

f.        A group of resident or nonresident individuals.

g.       An agricultural producer for the protection of crops from predatory birds or animals.

(7) Use Restrictions. Permitted fireworks may only be used if such use is a minimum of twenty-five (25) feet away from any structure. Use of fireworks is prohibited after 12:30 a. m.

(8) Copy of Permit. A copy of a permit under this Subsection shall be given to the Fire Chief at least two (2) days before the date of authorized use.