Wisconsin entered the Union on May 29th, 1848, as the 30th state. The state is named for the Wisconsin River, the name of which is derived from the French version of an Indian term which may mean, "gathering at the waters" or "place of the beaver." Wisconsin's nickname, the Badger State, refers to the miners who burrowed into the hillsides like badgers while searching for lead in the 1820's.
- Statehood: May 29, 1848
- Capital: Madison
- Nickname: Badger State
- State Song: On Wisconsin
- State Tree: Sugar Maple
- State Flower: Wood Violet
- State Bird: Robin
- Area: 56,153 sq. mi; 26th largest state
- Highest Point: Timms Hill 1952 ft.
- Lowest Point: 581 ft, the shore of Lake Michigan
Viola FactsFounded: 1855
Incorporated: March 15, 1898
Zip Code: 54664
- Population of Viola is approximately: 667
- Households: 290
- Families: 185
density is 245.3/km2
There are 319 housing units at an average density of 117.3/km2 (302.7/mi2).
The racial makeup of the village is:
- 98.95% White
- 0.00% African American
- 0.15% Native American
- 0.30% Asian
- 0.00% Pacific Islander
- 0.15% from other races
- 0.45% from two or more races
- 1.20% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There are 290 households of which:
- 24.8% have children under the age of 18 living with them
- 49.7% are married couples living together
- 9.7% have a female householder with no husband present
- 35.9% are non-families
- 31.0% of all households are made up of individuals
- 16.9% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older.
The average household size is 2.30 and the average family size is 2.88.
Village the population spread:
- 22.0% under the age of 18
- 8.4% from 18 to 24
- 23.7% from 25 to 44
- 24.0% from 45 to 64
- 21.9% who are 65 years of age or older.
The median age is 43 years. For every 100 females there are 92.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 85.7 males.
median income per household: $28,068
Per family: $34,286
The per capita income for the village: $17,265
Amount of land
area in Viola: 2.728 sq. kilometers.
Distance from Viola to Washington DC: 814 miles.
Distance to the Wisconsin state capital: 74 miles. (as the crow flies)
Viola is positioned: 43.50 degrees north of the equator and 90.67 degrees west of the prime meridian.